Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Shine A Light On Autism!

Today is World Autism Awareness Day! As many of you know autism is a cause that is very dear to my heart because my older brother, Michael, was diagnosed at 3 years old. At that time, autism was a new "disability" and the ways to "treat" were very few. Thank God we lived in New York at the time where the government subsided therapy treatments for him. Now because of its prevalence (One in every 88 68 children are diagnosed), treatments are more widespread. What we are finding now is it seems that Michael was a part of the first generation of autism diagnosis and therefore there hasn't been enough consideration for treatment for adults with autism. It's kinda like oh shoot we've been focusing on research for diagnosing children but what about when the kids grow up. Therapy programs for adults can be quite expensive and if the families can cannot afford it, the adults are forced stay at home. Which was our testimony until we found funding and got Michael involved with a program. My family can rest assure that he is in a safe place during the day and doesnt become a recluse, which is a common trait for most adults with autism. For that, we are so blessed!

Last year I dedicated my birthday to fundraising for autism. Thanks again to all that supported the project. I am taking this year off to recoup in light of my engagement and attempting not to put too much on my plate. But know I will be back with something stronger for 2015 World Autism Awareness Day! Here's my selfie for a cause...Shine A Light On Autism! If you want to purchase a shirt like mine, visit here.

♥ A.Erika ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment